A fire at recycling facility 1 in 2 was reported Wednesday in Calgary



[ad_1]

CALGARY –

Calgary Fire Department personnel were busy Tuesday afternoon dealing with two separate incidents reported minutes apart, one at a recycling facility in the southeast and another at a northeast hotel.

The first occurred just after 1 p.m. when firefighters were called to a recycling facility in the 10300 block of 46th Street SE where they encountered a fire.

Scene workers trained in fire suppression began fighting the fire, confined to a hopper – a container containing material.

That means CFD crews were able to declare it within 15 minutes of arrival. They believe it was started by an improper disposal of the lithium battery.

“Batteries always need to be separated and taken to another location for safe handling. If they end up in any of the trash cans (blue, green or black), the batteries could be crushed by the equipment leading to a fire in the facility. of recycling, composting. facilities and landfill sites, “read a relaese.

Information on where to properly recycle batteries can be found online, along with information on what materials can be recycled.

About five minutes after the first call, crews at the Comfort Inn in the 3000 block of 26th Street NE were alerted by a roof company and smoke was coming out when they arrived.

Firefighters had to use saws and axes to cut the outer wall of the building to put out the fire, Batt Chief Paul Frederick said.

[ad_2]

Previous Shant Banosian of the guaranteed rate crosses the threshold of $ 2 billion in total loan volume | Illinois
Next U2's Edge runs rock memorabilia sale to help musicians