Today is Veterans Day, and this morning there was a special live, “ThankYou Veterans” airs in southeast Minnesota. People call to thank loved ones for serving, comments from Spotted In Rochester are shared and a live performance of a very powerful song, fitting for the day.
Click play to hear the Veterans Day show, scroll down to watch Emily perform Battleworn
Unfortunately, our music license agreement does not allow us to podcast the music portion of the show, and many veteran shoutouts played from 8-9:30 a.m. to the music. I did my best to incorporate as many as possible. Thank you for sharing your loved ones and we thank them for their service.
4 things you might not know about Veterans Day
Information about Military.com
- There is no apostrophe. It’s “Veterans Day”, not “Veterans Day”. This may sound a bit grammatically picky, but “The Department of Veterans Affairs notes that Veterans Day is a day to recognize veterans with us at this time. “Veterans Day” with an apostrophe would be rather a day that belongs to the veterans.”
- Veterans Day was once a holiday Monday, like all federal holidays. “But many states disagreed with this choice, especially since Veterans Day was designated as November 11 – 11th month, 11th day, 11th hour – for historical reasons.” So in 1975 Congress and President Ford changed it, and in 1978 Veterans Day was celebrated again on November 11.
- Until 1954, it was Armistice Day. That’s where the 11s come in. Armistice Day recognized the armistice agreement that ended World War I on November 11, 1918. But in 1954, we had two wars to end to all wars, so they updated the name.
- The Marines enjoy two days of celebration. First, Nov. 10 is the Marine Corps’ birthday, and with Nov. 11 closely following each year, “Marines have traditionally had 96 hours of freedom to mark both holidays together – and recover from the birthday festivities of their service.”
If you’re going out to thank someone for their service, go through this list FIRST.
Veterans Day Discounts + Freebies in Southeast Minnesota
Veterans Day is Friday, November 11. Many companies thank those who have served by offering discounts and freebies. Here are a few that veterans and active military can enjoy in southeast Minnesota.
As always, if you have a comment, complaint or concern about anything I’ve written here, please let me know: [email protected]
13 musicians who served in the US military
The huge kitchen is just one nice feature of this Pill Hill home
The price of this home at 1003 10th Street SW Rochester, Minnesota dropped $25,000 in late September, now $825,000.
Prime location for this classic 3-story home in the Pill Hill neighborhood of SW Rochester.
- Tons of mature trees and beautiful landscaping surround this lovely home.
- On 0.68 acres and minutes from St. Mary’s, Mayo Clinic Campus and Plummer House.
- This elegant and traditional floor plan offers 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and a 2 car garage with additional exterior parking areas.
- Painted woodwork, cherry cabinetry, and hardwood floors are just a few highlights.
- An addition was made in 2003 to create a large living room and sunroom with fabulous natural light and a hot tub room that overlooks the private patio and gazebo.
- Over 5,000 square feet with a formal dining room, private offices, impressive lower level storage, and plenty of bonus bedrooms.
MLS Number 6255954