A rare glimpse into Cleveland’s past is offered by the distinctive Morris A. Bradley Carriage House, an 1887 Tudor building near Euclid Avenue on East 73rd Street in the Fairfax neighborhood of Cleveland.
The structure originally served as a coach house for the 1885 mansion built for Bradley and his wife, Anna A. Leininger-Bradley. Bradley was one of Cleveland’s largest real estate owners in the 1880s and boat builder – owning as many as 26 ships sailing the Great Lakes.
Bradley’s Euclid Avenue Tudor mansion was one of the last remaining homes on Millionaires Row before it was razed in 1998 after suffering years of neglect. Today, the parcel is home to One Midtown Townhouses. But the Bradley discount on East 73rd The street remains standing.
The Euclid Avenue mansion was designed by an architect whose name has been lost in time. It was completed in 1887, with the carriage house that followed in 1890. Changing styles and tastes over the next 20 years led to a complete renovation of the main house in 1907, converting it to the popular Tudor Revival style.
Morris A Bradley Carriage House Street Map Originally, the carriage shed was used as a shelter for animals and their food, in addition to storing the horse-drawn carriages of the time. It later became an auto repair shop, an artist’s studio, and is currently an artisan’s studio. This structure served many adaptive roles in its life and its role in Fairfax’s history.
The Morris A. Bradley Carriage House in 2018 was designated a Cleveland Historic Landmark by the Cleveland Landmarks Commission.
The Bradley Shed is a three-story structure that incorporates a variety of significant design elements, including stucco over brickwork, a sandstone foundation, decorative woodwork, a steeply pitched roof, and a copper-clad cupola.
The exterior of the second level features decorative wooden corbels at the ends of the gable roof and a ribbon of six double-hung windows with shutters.
The building is currently owned by local craftsman Carlo Maggiora, who creates bases and backdrops used to display museum exhibits. He uses the three floors of the shed as multiple workstations for different materials used in the construction of bases and backdrops.
Morris A Bradley – Queen Anne House Maggiora builds on the rich heritage that dates back to 1885.
In 1885, Morris A. Bradley purchased land on Euclid Avenue to build a house in Grand Queen style architecture befitting his status as a successful owner of the Bradley Fleet of the Great Lakes.
Made up of bulk cargo ships like the Steamship William G. Mather, the fleet carried bulk goods like coal, iron ore, wheat or limestone. Later, Bradley’s business was well known for transporting limestone, an essential part of steel production.
The Great Lakes Bradley Fleet Company did not exist without tragedy. In 1958, a Bradley Fleet steamer, the Carl D. Bradley, broke in two during a storm in Lake Michigan. There were only two survivors. Most of the crew came from a small town called Rogers City, Michigan, which was devastated by the loss of life.
The Bradley family kept the East 73rd Street house until 1921, then joined migration east to Cleveland Heights and to Elandon Hall.
Cuyahoga County Archives collections indicate that in 1931 the shed was converted into an automobile store as part of a used car lot.
John Puskas Then, in 1951, famed enameller John Puskas bought the shed to use as a workshop. Puskas had the largest private kiln in the region, and the federal government commissioned him to design an enamel-on-silver commemorative plaque to mark the launch of Apollo in 1967.
Puskas created a series of works involving his favorite subjects: Cleveland-inspired landscapes, musical instruments and Cubist-inspired still lifes. Puskas held weekly salons on the third floor of the carriage house he converted from a hayloft into an apartment.
Puskas’ exceptional artistic reputation adds him, along with Alva Bradley II, the eldest son of Morris A. and Anna A. Leininger-Bradley, to the list of the most notable people associated with the property.
Bradley II is remembered as a longtime owner of the Cleveland Indians during a turbulent time in the team’s history, from 1927 to 1946.
Bradley II was an enthusiastic supporter of a new lakeside stadium, believing it would attract fans from across the country and boost revenue for downtown hotels and restaurants.
Cleveland Municipal Stadium opened for baseball in 1932, but the Great Depression sabotaged Bradley’s dreams of massive weekend and holiday crowds.
During his 21 years of ownership of the ball club, Bradley brought some outstanding ball players to Cleveland, including signing pitcher and 1962 Baseball Hall of Famer Bob Feller at age 17, Satchel Paige, Earl Averill, Hal Trosky, Ken Keltner and player-manager. and Lou Boudreau, a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1970.
Still going strong at 21st Century, the Bradley Carriage House is a perfect example of Cleveland’s ability to adapt and thrive as the conditions around it have changed over the years.
Based on his complex past, who knows what the future holds.
Sports historian Scott Longert contributed to the baseball portion of this article.